Almost all sporting events worldwide have been canceled due to the corona pandemic. But not all activities are stopped. Here are a few of international events that are still ongoing or planned despite the corona pandemic:
Sporting events go on despite coronavirus concerns
- Olympia Games Tokyo. The Olympic flame was handed over to the Japanese organizers. Despite growing criticism from athletes and officials, the International Olympic Committee has not yet canceled or postponed the summer games in Japan’s capital Tokyo from July 24 to August 9.
- Aussie Rules Football. Aussie Rules (also referred to as Football or Footy) is another football version. The top Australian league began its season as organized on March 19 – with no on-lookers. Furthermore, five of the formerly 22 rounds were canceled.
- Billiards. The European Billiards and Snooker Association (EBSA) has been determining its European snooker championships for men, juniors and youngsters in Albufeira since March 7. Those responsible only shortened the mode. Instead of Monday, the title fights should end on Friday. Eight Germans were also there.
- Chess. The candidate tournament in Yekaterinburg, Russia will take place until April 3. The prize money is EUR 500,000. The winner fought for the right to challenge the reigning world champion Magnus Carlsen (Norway). The World Cup is scheduled to take place at the World Expo in Dubai at the end of the year.
- Fighting. An MMA (mixed martial arts) series mainly organized in England, is planned to pursue on March 20. However, they were relocated from London to Manchester.
- Horse Race. No spectators are allowed in the top races in Australia.
- Rugby. The trials scheduled for July by world champion South Africa against Georgia and Scotland are still on schedule. However, the situation is to be reassessed in April. In Australia’s top league, the games continue without spectators.
- Snooker. The World Cup in Sheffield, England, is scheduled to take place from April 18 to May 4.
- Soccer. In Australia, the A-League games take place as ghost games. But after two teams are faced with quarantine restrictions, there is also a pause here. Nevertheless, the league leaders want to pack the last games before the playoffs in a condensed schedule.
While these events will pursue, they will go on without spectators to follow strict rules of social distancing. For any other sports or games that you want to participate in, you can visit Go Game (바둑이게임). Despite the effect of this ongoing health crisis, sports events will continue to pursue with some restrictions.